+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tư vấn cho em về transfer với ạ

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Default tư vấn cho em về transfer với ạ

em đang học freshman 1 regional public university bên us, em đang muốn transfer sang 1 national university cho năm 2. Profile của em:
    GPA college: >3.3 (em chưa học xong)
    SAT: 1k9 ( sẽ thi tiếp)
    Activities: Volunteer giúp children with focus problem, volunteer cho American Red Cross in Grand Rapids, hết ạ. Em sẽ cố làm thêm.
    Tuition max mà em trả đc là 25-26k
    Mọi người suggest cho em 1 vài trường được không ạ.
    Thanks so much.

VietAbroader
    Thanks

LAC cũng được ạ. Em cám ơn.

Thanks

what's your transfer plan? do you plan to transfer Fall 2012 or Spring 2013? do you plan to transfer in-state or out-of-state? have you checked if your major is impacted or not?

if you plan to transfer for Fall 2012, most schools are opening their application process right now, and you'd better be hurry to prepare and submit your application.

most schools don't take transfer students for impacted majors (science and engineering) in the spring. Fall admission only. so make sure you check that first.

in-state transfer is usually easier than out-of-state.

information you provide is not really sufficient to suggest school for you...
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." - Albert Einstein.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyphan89 For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-13-2011)

VietAbroader
    Thanks

thế em cần thêm thông tin gì nữa ạ? em định transfer vào fall 2012 ạ

VietAbroader
    Thanks

University of washington! Or Texas AM, University of Houston. They are all super good public uni. Most liberal art costs more than 30k but provide aid- i think u should search around for that. But University of washington is really great. Right in Seattle. with that SAT score, it should be not too rough

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kushader For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HaDucMinhChau View Post
    thế em cần thêm thông tin gì nữa ạ? em định transfer vào fall 2012 ạ
    - Major?
    - Contribution 25-26k for tuition or for total cost?
    - TOEFL score?
    - Reason why you wanna transfer? (You need to be able to explain this in your statement, since you're attending a university. uni-to-uni transfer usually doesn't have priority, especially out-of-state transfer)
    - Any preferred region (West, Midwest, South, East)? it might sound silly, but if you don't like the environment there, you might not be able to give your best in study.

to be honest, your GPA is pretty low for scholarship. and it's even harder since transfer students won't get as much scholarship money as freshmen.

SMU in Texas has Honor Transfer Scholarship, which covers half-tuition for up to 5 terms. however, the requirement is that you should have 3.7 GPA..

TCU in Texas also have some of valuable transfer scholarships, still requirements are pretty high..

Tulane Uni. also has some generous transfer scholarships.

anyway, in general, considering your current GPA, it might be hard to get into national university (as you want) with your contribution..University of Washington is pretty out of reach for you with that GPA. Texas A&M College Station is pretty out of reach as well.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." - Albert Einstein.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyphan89 For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-14-2011)

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kushader View Post
    University of washington! Or Texas AM, University of Houston. They are all super good public uni. Most liberal art costs more than 30k but provide aid- i think u should search around for that. But University of washington is really great. Right in Seattle. with that SAT score, it should be not too rough
    University of Washington tuition đến hơn 30k anh ạ, em cũng không tìm thấy aid cho transfer student

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyphan89 View Post
    - Major?
    - Contribution 25-26k for tuition or for total cost?
    - TOEFL score?
    - Reason why you wanna transfer? (You need to be able to explain this in your statement, since you're attending a university. uni-to-uni transfer usually doesn't have priority, especially out-of-state transfer)
    - Any preferred region (West, Midwest, South, East)? it might sound silly, but if you don't like the environment there, you might not be able to give your best in study.

to be honest, your GPA is pretty low for scholarship. and it's even harder since transfer students won't get as much scholarship money as freshmen.

SMU in Texas has Honor Transfer Scholarship, which covers half-tuition for up to 5 terms. however, the requirement is that you should have 3.7 GPA..

TCU in Texas also have some of valuable transfer scholarships, still requirements are pretty high..

Tulane Uni. also has some generous transfer scholarships.

anyway, in general, considering your current GPA, it might be hard to get into national university (as you want) with your contribution..University of Washington is pretty out of reach for you with that GPA. Texas A&M College Station is pretty out of reach as well.
    em mới đang học kì đầu tiên thôi nên 3.3 gpa chỉ là có thể thôi vì em tính gpa thấp nhất có thể cho an toàn. Em học Finance ạ. Em không quan trọng bang nào, miễn là fit với em là được ạ. 26-27k là toàn bộ chi phí anh ạ

Thanks

might wanna consider University of Minesota-Twin Cities. there's a topic about this school here I believe. so check out for more info.

why do you wanna transfer btw? is it because the reputation of your current school? is it because the cost is expensive? you might wanna consider to stay there for one more year to build up your GPA and apply to transfer. low GPA will be hard to get into good school and compete for scholarship.
    Last edited by dannyphan89; 10-14-2011 at 01:15 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyphan89 For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-15-2011)

VietAbroader
    Thanks

might wanna consider University of Minesota-Twin Cities. there's a topic about this school here I believe. so check out for more info.

why do you wanna transfer btw? is it because the reputation of your current school? is it because the cost is expensive? you might wanna consider to stay there for one more year to build up your GPA and apply to transfer. low GPA will be hard to get into good school and compete for scholarship.
    I want to transfer because of many reasons:
    1. I want to go to a bigger university.
    2. I want to know about other US states.
    3. I can handle the cost of my university, but I want to go to a different university which is not necessarily lower in the tuition but it should be better in term of academic.
    4. I want to try to get a better scholarship. I had a scholarship in my university now, but it is not really valuable. My family also encouraged me about looking for other better universities.
    You don't think I should transfer now?

VietAbroader
    Thanks

where are you right now? and how many credits did you take?

VietAbroader
    Thanks

where are you right now? and how many credits did you take?
    I am in my first semester of freshman year. I haven't had any credit yet. I will have 13 credit after this semester.

VietAbroader
    Thanks

lol i meant can you tell me what college you're attending?

I would say finish your first year there. You should be able to get over 3.7 if you work hard for it. Become a member of Phita Kappa would be very helpful because they sometimes give instant scholarship. Be involved. Join some clubs or open one Your SAT is 1900? Lol that's way too good. I don't think you need to retake it unless you're planning to go to Harvard. Oh lots of college care about your Toefl score instead! You should check at unigo, collegeprowler, collegeboard and do some search so you can gather deadlines for transfer. Lots of school transfer deadlines ends in the beginning of the year.

I found it's kinda confusing cause right now you only take 13 credits. Lots of people transfer in their sophomore year. Go to collegeconfidental I think there's some useful info there. I'm gonna transfer too so.... good luck

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kushader For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-17-2011)

VietAbroader
    Thanks

lol i meant can you tell me what college you're attending?

I would say finish your first year there. You should be able to get over 3.7 if you work hard for it. Become a member of Phita Kappa would be very helpful because they sometimes give instant scholarship. Be involved. Join some clubs or open one Your SAT is 1900? Lol that's way too good. I don't think you need to retake it unless you're planning to go to Harvard. Oh lots of college care about your Toefl score instead! You should check at unigo, collegeprowler, collegeboard and do some search so you can gather deadlines for transfer. Lots of school transfer deadlines ends in the beginning of the year.

I found it's kinda confusing cause right now you only take 13 credits. Lots of people transfer in their sophomore year. Go to collegeconfidental I think there's some useful info there. I'm gonna transfer too so.... good luck
    trường của em có nói anh cũng không biết đâu nên nói làm gì anh giải thích cho em cái Phita Kappa là gì được không ạ? toefl của em chỉ 90 thôi nhưng em sẽ thi lại. Em không dám học nhiều credit quá vì còn phải tham gia activities nên sợ điểm thấp

VietAbroader
    Thanks

mà anh đang học ở đâu đấy ạ?

Thanks

PTK is only for two-year college students only..he's attending a university.

I want to transfer because of many reasons:
    1. I want to go to a bigger university.
    2. I want to know about other US states.
    3. I can handle the cost of my university, but I want to go to a different university which is not necessarily lower in the tuition but it should be better in term of academic.
    4. I want to try to get a better scholarship. I had a scholarship in my university now, but it is not really valuable. My family also encouraged me about looking for other better universities.
    You don't think I should transfer now?
    reason 1 and 2 might not be very convincing if you wanna put that on your personal statement..reason 3 and 4 are good, but you might need to tweak them a bit when you describe in your statement. if you wanna successfully transfer to a better university, you need to justify your reasons and convince them with your statement. so think about this more.

as I mentioned before, transfer students won't get as much money as freshmen when it comes to scholarship. bigger schools will be more competitive for scholarship, and tuition is more expensive as well. chances are you won't get as much money as you think (even less than what you are receiving now). this could be a trouble and you need to discuss with your family.

I personally advice you to wait for another year to apply for transfer. by that time, you have taken more courses for your major and built up your GPA and profile. for transfer students, big schools want to take in those who are more mature and have relatively decent knowledge in their field of study. in other words, they wanna take in those who know what they wanna do and prepare for it already. depending on how many courses you are able to transfer after evaluation, you might be able to continue straight to junior year, or go back to sophomore year. but chance to get in is higher than applying to transfer after freshman year, and even if you have to retake some courses at the new school, you should be able to do it better since you have taken those courses before. it doesn't matter how and where you started, it's only matter how and where you will finish.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyphan89 For This Useful Post:

nguyentran (11-04-2011)

VietAbroader
    Thanks

PTK is only for two-year college students only..he's attending a university.

reason 1 and 2 might not be very convincing if you wanna put that on your personal statement..reason 3 and 4 are good, but you might need to tweak them a bit when you describe in your statement. if you wanna successfully transfer to a better university, you need to justify your reasons and convince them with your statement. so think about this more.

as I mentioned before, transfer students won't get as much money as freshmen when it comes to scholarship. bigger schools will be more competitive for scholarship, and tuition is more expensive as well. chances are you won't get as much money as you think (even less than what you are receiving now). this could be a trouble and you need to discuss with your family.

I personally advice you to wait for another year to apply for transfer. by that time, you have taken more courses for your major and built up your GPA and profile. for transfer students, big schools want to take in those who are more mature and have relatively decent knowledge in their field of study. in other words, they wanna take in those who know what they wanna do and prepare for it already. depending on how many courses you are able to transfer after evaluation, you might be able to continue straight to junior year, or go back to sophomore year. but chance to get in is higher than applying to transfer after freshman year, and even if you have to retake some courses at the new school, you should be able to do it better since you have taken those courses before. it doesn't matter how and where you started, it's only matter how and where you will finish.
    ý anh là em đợi học xong năm 2 mới transfer ạ? em không chắc lắm nhưng em thử transfer khi hết năm đầu thì cũng không mất gì cả đúng không ạ? còn vụ credit thì anh thấy rằng học ít nhưng activity nhiều so với học nhiều mà activity ít thì cái nào tốt hơn ạ?

Thanks

uhm, finish your sophomore and transfer (i.e. apply next fall for Fall 2013 admission).

it won't hurt if you wanna apply now. give it a try if you want. worst scenario is you will stay another year and waste some money for application fee.

còn vụ credit thì anh thấy rằng học ít nhưng activity nhiều so với học nhiều mà activity ít thì cái nào tốt hơn ạ?
    neither. you should balance out between coursework and activities. think of activities as another class you have to take every semester, and devote as much time as you do for it like you would usually do for a regular class.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyphan89 For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-17-2011)

VietAbroader
    Thanks

em hiểu rồi ạ, em sẽ vẫn transfer sau khi học hết năm đầu để thử vận may xem thế nào :p
    Anh cho em hỏi thêm về cái Phita Kappa gì gì đó được không ạ, ở trường em thấy mấy cái kiểu kiểu như vậy nhưng chẳng hiểu gì cả.
    Liệu em học 13 credit/kì thì có được không ạ?

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Phita Kappa is honor society. Lol according to bro danny, it's only in two years college. There's also Phi Beta Kappa which i believe is for lots of four year universities. Basically you have to have high GPA to be a member and you can do lots of activities there. It's like a club lol

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kushader For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-18-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HaDucMinhChau View Post
    em hiểu rồi ạ, em sẽ vẫn transfer sau khi học hết năm đầu để thử vận may xem thế nào :p
    Anh cho em hỏi thêm về cái Phita Kappa gì gì đó được không ạ, ở trường em thấy mấy cái kiểu kiểu như vậy nhưng chẳng hiểu gì cả.
    Liệu em học 13 credit/kì thì có được không ạ?
    Phi Beta Kappa: https://www.pbk.org/home/index.aspx
    a lot of schools have PBK chapter so you can check out to see if you're eligible to join.

lol. 13 units/semester is too few. maybe it's ok for 1st year. but if you just take 13 units/semester like that, you won't be to finish your degree in time. don't worry, you'll get used to it and you will realize that 3 classes is too few, and you will get bored . most students take 4 classes per semester (16 units). by your 3rd and 4th year, you might have to take 4-5 classes every semester, depending on your department teaching plan. like me right now, I'm taking 5 classes (20 units) every quarter (quarter is 10-week, even shorter than 16-week semester).

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyphan89 For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-18-2011)

VietAbroader
    Thanks

em đọc rồi, nhưng chẳng hiểu cái phần apply của nó là thế nào??
    mà em không hiểu sao trường em có cả chục cái kiểu kiểu thế này là sao ạ, cái nào tên cũng là mấy chữ cái la mã~~! chẳng lẽ join cái nào cũng được ạ ~~

Thanks

different. there are fraternities/sororities, and there are honor societies. both use Greek letters for their names.

honor societies are mostly for the purpose of academic recognition but they do also run as a student organization.

frat/soro are brotherhood/sisterhood group and are more of social organizations. they have a set of requirements to be a part of the brotherhood/sisterhood. search fraternity to know more.

which one to join? up to you. movies kinda create bad impressions about frat like a group of dumb dudes gather to party and get drunk all the time. but that's quite a stereotype though. some of the frats in my school have really high academic standards to join and they are not just party animals.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyphan89 For This Useful Post:

HaDucMinhChau (10-19-2011)

+ Reply to Thread