+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pave your way to Corporate America

Thanks

Hey, I'll be a freshman in US this summer, but all the info here interests me so much. Should we prepare early? What initial steps to take?
    Dear all: Keep on posting, many (including myself) are hunger for this kind of info.

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Vault Information: Lehman Brothers (Employee Surveys)

http://www.wolfyserver.net/vault.html#lb

source: www.collegeconfidential.com

Thanks

Oh, I never noticed this topic. Very useful indeed. Has anyone tried venture capital? The intellectual challenges, the mixture of financial and strategic skills practiced, and potential financial rewards have made this a good job choice for those who get in. Industry insiders say that what they like about venture capital is that it combines the financial analysis of the investment banking industry with the consulting industry’s knowledge of a company’s inner workings. (Wetfeet) I will intern at a VC company in Boston this summer, anybody wants to share an apartment? (girls are welcome )

Anyway, for those who plan to study abroad in junior year (especially spring semester), be careful as finding an internship could be a very frustrating process (well my Vietnamese friends both got offers from Lehman and UBS in London anyway so this is probably just my own opinion).

Btw, I happened to have the full collection of Wetfeet career guides in pdf format, if any of you guys are interested in having some of them, please let me know (hlviethung@yahoo.com). Here is the list:

WETFEET’S INSIDER GUIDE SERIES

JOB SEARCH GUIDES
    Getting Your Ideal Internship
    Job Hunting A to Z: Landing the Job You Want
    Killer Consulting Resumes
    Killer Investment Banking Resumes
    Killer Resumes & Cover Letters
    Negotiating Your Salary & Perks
    Networking Works!
    INTERVIEW GUIDES
    Ace Your Case: Consulting Interviews
    Ace Your Case II: 15 More Consulting Cases
    Ace Your Case III: Practice Makes Perfect
    Ace Your Case IV: The Latest & Greatest
    Ace Your Case V: Even More Practice Cases
    Ace Your Interview!
    Beat the Street: Investment Banking Interviews
    Beat the Street II: Investment Banking Interview Practice Guide
    CAREER & INDUSTRY GUIDES
    Careers in Accounting
    Careers in Advertising & Public Relations
    Careers in Asset Management & Retail Brokerage
    Careers in Biotech & Pharmaceuticals
    Careers in Brand Management
    Careers in Consumer Products
    Careers in Entertainment & Sports
    Careers in Human Resources
    Careers in Information Technology
    Careers in Investment Banking
    Careers in Management Consulting
    Careers in Manufacturing
    Careers in Marketing & Market Research
    Careers in Nonprofits & Government
    Careers in Real Estate
    Careers in Supply Chain Management
    Careers in Venture Capital
    Consulting for PhDs, Doctors & Lawyers
    Industries & Careers for MBAs
    Industries & Careers for Undergraduates
    COMPANY GUIDES
    Accenture
    Bain & Company
    Boston Consulting Group
    Booz Allen Hamilton
    Citigroup’s Corporate & Investment Bank
    Credit Suisse First Boston
    Deloitte Consulting
    Goldman Sachs Group
    J.P. Morgan Chase & Company
    Lehman Brothers
    McKinsey & Company
    Merrill Lynch & Co.
    Morgan Stanley
    25 Top Consulting Firms
    Top 20 Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals Firms
    Top 25 Financial Services Firm

Thanks

Well gangs,

It seems my internship hunt is over. I will be in NYC starting from June, and am looking for roommate(s). It is gonna be like "Friends" if we can all live together

In the end, I can only tell you: be patient, be very patient, and keep applying. There are millions of opportunities out there, you have to keep other options open besides the Ivies of banks and firms. And do not forget to update and thank everyone who has helped you. After all, this is only a pre-battle. The real bloody fight begins in September for fulltime job.

Good luck to all, and congratulations to Hung and others who have found their summer home.

Thanks

@Trang: congrats! anh Viet can be your entertaining and drinking roommate :p

Thanks

Oh I forgot to mention that I will be working with NERA Economic Consulting in Securities and Finance. Essentially, we're working for lawyers on litigation cases (I know, how horrible will this be&#33

So here are some tips I've learned along the way. Hope they can be helpful for your search

1. KNOW YOUR RESUME:
    No good to put on a big name just for the sake of a big name. It might get you the interview, but your mask will be disclosed there. And it will be shameful.

2. ALWAYS BE POLITE:
    It serves no purpose to burn bridges. All connections now are priceless for sustainable relationship, plus Wall Street is a tiny community. So you never know when your deeds might come back to haunt you.

3. HAVE SOME QUANTITATIVE SKILLS:
    If your school offers econometrics or accounting, TAKE THEM. Else you will have to self-teach yourself. Those are basic knowledge everyone will test you on.

4. BE BEST FRIEND WITH YOUR CAREER ADVISOR:
    That person talks to recruiters, invite them to dinner, listen to their complaints, and reserve the rights to suggest to them names of students. That is your backdoor.

Cheers!

Administrator
    Thanks

and of course, don't forget your good friends Trang taught me how to make my Resume attractive to bankers, I shared with her what consultants expect. And she ends up with a consulting firm while I joins a bank! haha... will be fun in NYC...

Thanks

The moral of the story is never close out an option because you think it might not be a good fit. In the beginning, Viet does not consider ANY banks and I did not consider ANY consulting firm. By a odd stroke of luck, we both end up in reverse of our expectation. So as they say, diverse your portfolio to reduce your risk (absolutely genious and true concept&#33

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Trang vào làm NERA à. Bạn anh, cũng tên Trang, đang làm research assistant ở NERA New York đấy.
    Đồng chí Việt vào đâu thế? Anh em ngày xưa vẫn bảo là gặp nhau ở NY có khi hè này gặp thật đấy nhỉ.

Administrator
    Thanks

đồng chí Việt sẽ làm ở Lehman Bros, làm Capital Market: Sales, Trading, hay là Research gì đó, chưa quyết định được... làm việc từ July 10th đến Sept 1st. Hy vọng sẽ gặp bà con ở NYC...
    Việt

Thanks

Mấy năm trở lại đây, du học sinh VN mình bắt đầu invade vào Wall Street và Canary Wharf...Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, UBS...great signs!

mà bác Long đang làm ở đâu vậy? Chỉ biết đâu đó gần Boston...hehe

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Chúc mừng mọi người đã được internship Hè này, em 5% ở NYC, 95% là sẽ tò ti' te cách NYC khoảng 1.5h (aka lọ mọ làm research ở chốn Easton nhà em). nhưng nếu 95%, thì em vẫn sẽ tò te sang NYC. Mong sớm tới ngày tái ngộ mọi người.
    <br /><font size="6"><font color="red"><u><b>New VA members, dont know where to start? <a href="http://vietabroader.org/vapedia/" target="_blank">VAPedia</a></b></u></font></font>

Thanks

Ái dà, anh Long bận làm ăn hay bận yêu đương mà biệt tăm biệt tích, anh vẫn còn nợ em một chầu thịt chó hay lẩu dê gì đấy nhé&#33;

Bạn anh là chị Trang nào thế? Có phải chị Trang ở WB không? Em đang cần tìm chỗ ở ở NYC, anh cho em email hay đt của chị ấy để liên lạc được không?

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Originally posted by viet@Mar 16 2006, 05:28 AM
    đồng chí Việt sẽ làm ở Lehman Bros, làm Capital Market: Sales, Trading, hay là Research gì đó, chưa quyết định được... làm việc từ July 10th đến Sept 1st. Hy vọng sẽ gặp bà con ở NYC...
    Việt
    Congrats Viet&#33; LEH is a great firm, and has a distinctive and enjoyable culture that you can only feel when you are inside.

I know this because Lehman is filled with Wesleyan graduates for some reasons...Enjoy the great summer and I am sure you&#39;ll have time to explore the city a bit (unlike the Corp Fin interns)...

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Originally posted by musketeerlady@Mar 16 2006, 06:21 PM
    Ái dà, anh Long bận làm ăn hay bận yêu đương mà biệt tăm biệt tích, anh vẫn còn nợ em một chầu thịt chó hay lẩu dê gì đấy nhé&#33;

Bạn anh là chị Trang nào thế? Có phải chị Trang ở WB không? Em đang cần tìm chỗ ở ở NYC, anh cho em email hay đt của chị ấy để liên lạc được không?
    không phải Trang WB đâu
    hè này chắc là mình gặp nhau ở NY rồi. lúc đấy sẽ ra đường bắt chó đem về nhà vặt lông nhậu sau
    cho anh email của em đi rồi anh email contacts vào cho.

Thanks

tnguyen2@bates.edu hoac musketeerlady@gmail.com

Em dang ga gam xin lam roommate cua anh Quang Hamilton ma anh y con danh khong chiu. Anh Long lam gi o NYC the?

Administrator
    Thanks

anh Long ... làm thịt chó chứ làm gì
    ừa, lâu ngày ko được nhậu cùng anh Long&#33; Em ghé về VN vào cuối tháng 6 để mua ít mồi đem qua NYC, anh em mình nhậu, cho Trang ngồi xem&#33;

VietAbroader
    Thanks

, topic nghiêm chỉnh vậy mà thành chỗ các anh chị gọi nhau đi nhậu. Chị Trang, Anh Long, Anh Việt làm gương xấu cho đàn em nha.
    <br /><font size="6"><font color="red"><u><b>New VA members, dont know where to start? <a href="http://vietabroader.org/vapedia/" target="_blank">VAPedia</a></b></u></font></font>

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Các bác có biết ai tìm được internship của Citigroup hoặc là HSBC để về Việt Nam làm hè không?

Administrator
    Thanks

anh biết Hiếu (UCL) và Phương Thảo (Oxford) làm ở HSBC Sàigon năm ngoái...
    Việt

Thanks

Ở citigroup năm nay nghe nói có Tuấn Anh (Darthmourth 07) sẽ làm intern ở IB.

Also, congrats to Khang, the next corporate whore.

Administrator
    Thanks

Tùng (Scotland, LSE Hiển&#39;s friend) is working for Citigroup in London, and my ex-roommate is doing private equity for Citigroup in NYC this summer.

If everyone sends me more info about WHO IS WORKING WHERE, I will write a short update about this summer internship program, like the Admission Update that Khoa does. This way, if any of us considers to apply to other firms later this year, we know who to talk to.
    So email me the list of people and companies for this summer yeah...
    Việt

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Viet, so the gig with Lehman is an internship? Thought u graduated already. In any case, looking forward to seeing you here, brother

Administrator
    Thanks

yes bro, I hope I will know what I wanna do after this summer internship... for now, 80% for a business-related job (consulting or banking) and 20% for PhD

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Hi anh Việt chị Trang, anh/chị nói anh chị hay apply for consulting firm , anh/chị recommend vài cái tên của cty mà anh/chị interested cho em được ko? Thường thì các cty lớn chỉ consult finance/eco hay có cả engineering/technology nữa?

Thankss anh chị nhiều nghen

Trinh

Administrator
    Thanks

hey Trinh,
    consulting firms like people from different backgrounds. So engineering/technolog background should be good. Just make sure that you present yourself well, speak fluently, and appear intellectual
    the good firms, from my perspective, are McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Katzenbach, Parthenon, and Mercer.
    Let us know if you want any other info. Most probably I will try to get a full time job with a consulting firm. Banking will be exciting too, but I doubt that I will like it as much...
    Việt

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Thanks anh Việt for your info. I&#39;ll ask you lots when I start the crazy application process. Hope it&#39;s ok Thanks in advance

I also think consulting career is stimulating and challenging in terms of what they can do, number of industries (and countries) involved, and skills required. Praying hard that I can end up with one in the US

What do you do to prepare for case study anh Việt?

VietAbroader
    Thanks

Originally posted by Atonix@Mar 12 2006, 09:05 PM
    Oh, I never noticed this topic. Very useful indeed. Has anyone tried venture capital? The intellectual challenges, the mixture of financial and strategic skills practiced, and potential financial rewards have made this a good job choice for those who get in. Industry insiders say that what they like about venture capital is that it combines the financial analysis of the investment banking industry with the consulting industry’s knowledge of a company’s inner workings. (Wetfeet) I will intern at a VC company in Boston this summer, anybody wants to share an apartment? (girls are welcome )

Anyway, for those who plan to study abroad in junior year (especially spring semester), be careful as finding an internship could be a very frustrating process (well my Vietnamese friends both got offers from Lehman and UBS in London anyway so this is probably just my own opinion).

Btw, I happened to have the full collection of Wetfeet career guides in pdf format, if any of you guys are interested in having some of them, please let me know (hlviethung@yahoo.com). Here is the list:

WETFEET’S INSIDER GUIDE SERIES

Có bác nào trước đây có được cái "full collection of Wetfeet career guides in pdf format" của bác Atonix thì cho em xin với&#33; Em cố gắng liên lạc nhưng hình như cái e-méo die mất rồi&#33;&#33;&#33;

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12